Science pledge – January 2018
We aim to nurture and promote a sense of responsibility in all children to care for and respect their surroundings and all living things.
We have our own Sparhawk science curriculum which teachers use alongside the 5Es of Science and scientific thinking keys to plan. This is delivered through an enriched, creative curriculum.
We aim to:
Teach in a ‘hands on’ and practical way whenever possible
Give children opportunities to explore
Know that everyone is a Scientist
To give them (science)skills that they can use for life
Our aim is for children at Sparhawk:
- to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring in our lives
- to predict how things behave
- to analyse causes through questioning
Recording/Assessment – this will be in class cohort Science scrapbooks. This means that Science will be recorded as a class not individually. At the end of each term the class teacher will record individual achievements in the class curriculum book(Year 1) and on pupil asset(year R/2)
A few website to help with science at home.
- Quizzes/group games http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/dinosaurs.html
- BBC terrific scientific – lots of themes and quizzes on this site https://www.bbc.com/teach/terrific-scientific
- BBC cbeebies has some experiments online https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/curations/science-activities
- KS1 BBC bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/z6svr82
- Science quizzes https://www.educationquizzes.com/ks1/science/